Lens Recommendation

Started Sep 6, 2012 | Discussions thread
Old Pirate Senior Member • Posts: 1,451
Re: Lens Recommendation on a Budget

Everyone has an opinion so here is mine.

For portraits..the old Minolta 50 mm 1.7 does a better job than the SAM 1.8. There is something about the color and the contrast that the new lens just doesn't have. I've owned both. I also own the 1.7 in the old MD version as well as have use of a 1.4 in an MD version for my NEX and at 2.8 and above the 1.7 and 1.4 are indistinguishable, but the price is not. I own the CZ 85 1.4 so I know what a good portrait lens looks like and the old Minolta 1.7 is really good in a lot of situations.

And if you are looking to stretch your budget there are a lot of old Minolta lenses out there that have 'better than kit" abilities that you can buy reasonably well.

I realize I'm fortunate and have accumulated some nice lenses, but in the last few days I've picked up some really cheap old Minolta lenses such as the 35-70 F4 and the 100-200 F 4.5 zoom made during the same time as the Beer Can and I played around with them last night and this morning.

They are remarkably sharp and their color and contrast is simply engaging. I got them and a 6 meter genuine Minolta shutter cable for $35 in total plus the old film camera and a really nice circular polarizer.

So there are bargains out there that will give you many hours of pleasure and many great images.

I'd study the reviews on Dxyum and determine the lens range you are looking for and then start looking everywhere you can think of that old lenses may be found.

Never forget that the lens, in the opinion of most. is second only to the operator, and always ahead of the camera in terms of creating the best IQ. So choose wisely for value and don't discount any lens until you try it. Even lenses that average out as not so good have a few copies that are stellar.

Old Pirate's gear list:Old Pirate's gear list
Sony a77 II Sony Alpha a7R II Sony E 16mm F2.8 Pancake Sony 50mm F1.4 Sony DT 16-80mm F3.5-4.5 ZA Carl Zeiss Vario-Sonnar T* +7 more
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow