Let's put the FF crowds into test

Started Sep 7, 2012 | Discussions thread
John_A_G Veteran Member • Posts: 7,571
you should recognize

many of the people that want Pentax to have a full-frame have no intention of buying one. As another poster mentioned, they believe it gives credibility to the line. A subset of that group is like many people here at DPR in all the brand forums - they have some inane tie-in between their camera brand and their own self-worth. They need to be able to argue their brand is better than other brands. Right now, such losers in Canon and Nikon can use full-frame as a trump card. This leaves the pentax losers in a quandary. So, Pentax offering a full-frame will again allow them to carry on the endless debate with losers in other systems as to why THEIR system is better.

I'm a Canon guy myself. I think it would be wonderful for Canon users if Pentax made full-frame because competition benefits us all. But, as a business man myself - and one that does a lot of cost-benefit analysis for project work - I simply don't see a solid business case for Pentax going full frame. There is no market to be taken, they don't have the lens lineup to compete, don't have the professional services to compete, and you really do want professionals buying high-margin lenses and bodies to help the market. From a business standpoint, Pentax is much better off going after mirrorless - that's where the VAST market potential is. Yes, there will be a couple hundred upset Pentaxians that full-frame isn't offered. But, that's the reality IMO. At the end of the day, it's a business decision.

But, I really hope I'm wrong. I'd love more competition to drive costs down

Post (hide subjects) Posted by
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow