7-14, 9-18 or 12-35 for my next trip?

Started Sep 5, 2012 | Discussions thread
Bob Tullis
Bob Tullis Forum Pro • Posts: 33,441
Re: Getting both 12-35 and 7-14, too much?

digitalphotographer wrote:

Hi ryan2007, you said "If I was traveling like you and depending I would do what I could with zooms. In lieu of the 12-35, the 7-14 is an fantastic lens for interiors or large buildings so you can get it at the same time. The 9-18 is not a constant aperture like the 7-14, but you can add filters if needed."

I'd considered getting both of them at one point, but cost is a big concern, have to have some money left for food on my trip

Joking aside, would having these two lenses create too much an overlap in focal lengths? Or this can be justified by the different nature of these two lenses?

Heh. I thought you'd never ask. Seriously, if you can rationalize having both (and afford it), yes.

I started with the 7-14 and the E-P2, but lost that lens in the field (only gear I've ever lost, aside from lens caps). I replaced it with the 9-18 for all the right reasons ($$$). Really enjoyed it for 2 years, but after getting the E-M5 I found I wasn't using filters on it much anymore, and I always had a little envy for the extra 2mm and resolution the 7-14 provided. I rationalized getting it, and considered parting with the 9-18 (but I never rush when it comes to selling gear).

The 7-14's flaring/ghosting I never realized was so dramatic, being I wasn't shooting urban nights at all when I had it earlier. So I find that I can't part with such a nice 7-14, yet the 9-18 needs to stand in for that FL range once in a while. I'm fortunate for the choice, even if just to consider the size of the kit being put together for the day.

Hey, someone has to flesh these things out, and sacrifice for the good of the many!

-- hide signature --

...Bob, NYC
http://www.bobtullis.com

"Well, sometimes the magic works. . . Sometimes, it doesn't." - Little Big Man

Bob Tullis's gear list:Bob Tullis's gear list
Sony RX1R II Sony Alpha a7R II Fujifilm X-T2 Zeiss Batis 25mm F2 Zeiss Batis 85mm F1.8 +11 more
Post (hide subjects) Posted by
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow