D4 vs 1Dx (Imaging Resource), RAW, ACR, 6400-12800

Started Sep 4, 2012 | Discussions thread
jjnik Senior Member • Posts: 1,319
Re: D4 vs 1Dx (Imaging Resource), RAW, ACR, 6400-12800

bobn2 wrote:

Lance B wrote:

My other point is, the test was done with both cameras set at ISO6400 and in order to get equal exposure one camera would or may need to have a slightly different shutter speed in order for the exposure to look the same - I would suggest that you would keep the same aperture for DOF purposes.

I don't think you know what exposure is. Read it up here:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Exposure_ (photography)

-- hide signature --

Got that - I think the point people are making is that if I set the same exposure (SS + f stop), but Camera A and Camera B "treat" ISO differently, then the resultant images are "different" for a given ISO - so how are you able to really compare high ISO noise performance if you are not able to determine what the ISO's really are? I ask as the convention everywhere seems to be to compare two cameras at the same ISO setting?

So, with the SS and F stop, I might have to set Camera A to ISO 6400, but Camera B to ISO 5000 to get images that appear the same visually (brightness, etc.). That would appear to be the only way to meaningfully compare noise, but that is never what I see presented anywhere? It also allows a camera maker to potentially overstate their ISO performance and then we see people posting their "ISO 12,800" images and saying how great they are when a different camera could have taken the same ifinal image at with equivalent noise at ISO 6400?

Post (hide subjects) Posted by
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow