Harman by Hahnemuhle ICC profiles & Pro-1

Started Sep 4, 2012 | Discussions thread
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Flat view
hughlook New Member • Posts: 6
Harman by Hahnemuhle ICC profiles & Pro-1

I've got an odd problem. Recently acquired a Pixma Pro-1 printer, which so far I've very happy with. I've printed on Canon Platinum paper using the Canon-supplied profile as a reference, and have also printed on several Ilford papers using Ilford's own profiles. The match between them all was pretty close, which suggests things are mostly hunky-dory. I'm printing from Photoshop CS6, using the printer driver, and have got all the settings right according to the Canon manual.

The monitor is calibrated using a Spyder4 and I'm using a fairly comprehensive test target.

However, I also tried out my favourite paper for colour, the Harman by Hahnemuhle Gloss Barya with the profile downloaded from the Hahnemuhle website and using the recommended "other glossy" media setting. Results: terrible, really terrible. Horrible. Not just not matching, but washed out, and with a greenish tint. Nothing like any of the other prints, let alone what I was seeing on the monitor. Looked almost as if the magenta ink had been cut off.

Tried changing all sorts of settings, printing using the plug-in, different media type, switching rendering intent, doublechecking that I had downloaded the right profile and not one for (e.g.) the warmtone or matt paper, and it was for the right printer etc etc. No real change. Now, just to say that I am quite experienced as a printer (years of nursing along a fragile HP B9180) and I'm fairly sure I wasn't double-profiling or making any other basic mistakes. And the other paper/profile combinations were fine. I reran them just to be sure.

So in desperation I tried printing using the Canon Platinum Pro profile--and the print was much, much better. Not perfect, but a huge improvement.

Finally made a custom profile using an old Colormunki and the Canon Color Management Tool Pro software. And hooray, a very good print, very close to the other paper/profile combinations and just about how I wanted it.

So, in the end I solved the problem from a practical point of view--but not mentally. I still can't work out what went wrong. Is it me doing something stupid (always possible), or could there be something wrong with the H-by-H profiles?

It's no longer a live problem, but if anybody has any suggestions about what might have gone wrong I will sleep better at night.

Incidentally, printing in black and white on Ilford Gold Fibre Silk is really lovely. Nicest inkjet B&W I've been able to make.

ForumParentFirstPrevious
Flat view
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow