DA 16-50 and DA 50-135 prices doubled - It's an outrage

Started Sep 2, 2012 | Discussions thread
Jim in Hudson Senior Member • Posts: 2,128
Re: If they've fixed the SDM, it will be worth it (nt)

marike6 wrote:

Jim in Hudson wrote:

Please explain to us how the online price from the three largest retailers spans $1300 to $1525 on the 50-135 lens? Sure doesn't seem like Pentax is "forcing" retailers to charge the MSRP. Instead, it could be that retailers are taking advantage of a possible shortage.

It's not the retailers who are making the price changes, it is from Pentax. I wrote to Pentax USA and here's what they replied:

"Dear Markus,

Thank you for contacting PENTAX.

PENTAX has actually recently adopted a more uniform pricing policy on lenses. I would refer you to PENTAX RICOH IMAGING AMERICAS CORPORATION's Presidient Ned Bunnell’s Blog post at link below. A link to the post can also be found on our Facebook page at http://www.facebook.com/pentax

http://nedbunnell.posterous.com/lens-prices-and-our-channel-strategy-in-the-u

"

So the new pricing is an attempt to "adopt a more uniform pricing policy" which is essentially a spin on "like it or lump it, this is how it's going to be".

Sorry, but now that I see the 100 2.8 Macro that I was planning to purchase next is close to $900, I don't feel I have any choice but to jump ship out of principal. As consumers, and loyal Pentax customer I refuse to blindly except such outrageous pricing policy when competition is so fierce and other vendors offer more for less. It's as simple as that. I bought into the Pentax system (a K-30 and 5 lenses) with a plan to acquire some better glass, and for example to complete a set of DA Limited Primes (15 f4, 40 2.8, 70 2.4). Now the 70 2.4 is $700!!! The 100 2.8 Macro is $900, up from $600. Uniform pricing indeed. More like the Pentax customers getting uniformly shafted.

I feel bad that Pentax/Ricoh are not doing that well as a company, but it's not my responsibility to help them balance their books by paying up to 40% more for lenses.

OK, I think I now understand what Pentax is doing. They can't legally enforce prices on product they have already sold to distributors but they can tell online retailers that they must sell at certain levels (probably within some percentage of MSRP) if they wish to remain authorized distributors with access to product. Frankly, this action may have been the carrot they offered to B&M retailers to get them to either start carrying Pentax or carrying it in a more meaningful way (such as more than just camera kits). Whether this ultimately helps or hurts Pentax is anyone's guess though I'm sure they feel it will help.

Jim in Hudson's gear list:Jim in Hudson's gear list
Olympus E-M1 Pentax K-3 Sigma 10-20mm F4-5.6 EX DC HSM Pentax smc DA 55-300mm F4.0-5.8 ED Pentax smc DA 18-135mm F3.5-5.6ED AL [IF] DC WR +4 more
Post (hide subjects) Posted by
(unknown member)
ET2
(unknown member)
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow