New lens for my 7D

Started Aug 31, 2012 | Discussions thread
Shop cameras & lenses ▾
happysnapper64 Senior Member • Posts: 5,335
Re: New lens for my 7D

If you NEED the extra stop of light then yes, You simply can't get away from the fact that it lets in twice the light the f/4 does wide open. However, I bought the f/4 IS as I don't shoot in very low light too often. Apart from being approx 1/2 the price of the 2.8 it weighs a lot less & is therefore a lot easier to keep on your camera for an all day shoot. I have bad arthritis in my spine, neck & shoulders, & find it very little trouble to use for long periods. IQ wise the 2.8 JUST edges the f/4, but A/F is excellent, & even though the f/4 uses first gen IS, it still keeps up. If you must have 2.8 but don't want to spend that much on the Canon, why not take a look at the Sigma 70-200 f/2.8 OS.Same price as the Canon f/4, & pretty good from what I have heard.
--
lee uk.
There are old pilots, & there are bold pilots, but there are no old bold pilots.

happysnapper64's gear list:happysnapper64's gear list
Canon EOS 5D Mark II Canon EOS 7D Canon EF-S 15-85mm f/3.5-5.6 IS USM Canon EF-S 55-250mm f/4-5.6 IS Canon EF 100mm f/2.8 Macro USM +9 more
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow