DA 16-50 and DA 50-135 prices doubled - It's an outrage

Started Sep 2, 2012 | Discussions thread
Jim in Hudson Senior Member • Posts: 2,128
Re: If they've fixed the SDM, it will be worth it (nt)

marike6 wrote:

BarcaFan wrote:

I bought the SMCP-DA* 50-135mm f/2.8 ED last month for $899 today i look and they are $1521. So what justifies a jump of $621?

My point exactly. Some in this thread tried to compare the 50-135 price to the Nikon 70-200 2.8 VR, but to me, while the focal lengths are the same, one lenses is an APS-C lens. As such, it cannot be compared to the 70-200 which is an investment that is guaranteed to work on all future bodies. If Pentax releases a FF DSLR, K-3, the 50-135 will be useless for the new FF Pentax.

I could understand a price increase of $100-150. But to almost double the price of a lens overnight is a slap in the face to all Pentax users. And after having spent around $2000 USD in the past month for a K-30 and 5 lenses, I really kind of resent the suggestion that customers like me who complain about such dramatic price increases by threatening to jump to Nikon are killing the Pentax brand. So I'm supposed to suposed to blindly accept any outrageous pricing decisions? Sorry, but we all work hard, and in these tough financial times it is just foolish to accept price gauging because of some abstract, sentimental notion of loyalty. Pentax wants to f customers, they should be prepared for the consequences. It doesn't mean I don't love their gear (I bought into it didn't I?). It means that if they are not going to offer competitive prices, people are going to flee. There is a lot of great gear out these days, and companies that respect their customers will ultimately win out. I thought Pentax was such a company, but this latest move is showing that perhaps they don't care about us.

Please explain to us how the online price from the three largest retailers spans $1300 to $1525 on the 50-135 lens? Sure doesn't seem like Pentax is "forcing" retailers to charge the MSRP. Instead, it could be that retailers are taking advantage of a possible shortage.

Jim in Hudson's gear list:Jim in Hudson's gear list
Olympus E-M1 Pentax K-3 Sigma 10-20mm F4-5.6 EX DC HSM Pentax smc DA 55-300mm F4.0-5.8 ED Pentax smc DA 18-135mm F3.5-5.6ED AL [IF] DC WR +4 more
Post (hide subjects) Posted by
(unknown member)
ET2
(unknown member)
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow