DP2m Lens Distortion Problem

Started Sep 3, 2012 | Discussions thread
adegroot Senior Member • Posts: 2,910
RE:Optical illusion

I went to full size, and made the following observations:

1. the line is not 100% horizontal, and therefore creates an optical illusion. The distance to the top of the from from the water level far left and far right is clearly off.

2. this illusion is exaggerated by two elements:
a) the island in the middle; and

b) the faint visual element at the far left horizon level, creating the illusion of
curvature.

3. the sea water level line is 100% straight; I laid a large ruler over my monitor at the water level of your photo's original size. Straight as can be. Not one curve to be seen, not even a tiny one. Total optical illusion.

A total optical illusion. Has happened before in other photos I've seen; please trust the absolute greatness of the lens.

2nd photo: Put your camera on a tripod, put a dark cloth over your head and the back of the DP2M and recompose: make sure your camera's back is 100% parallel to the object you are shooting, and voila, your lines should be just fine. The path of the light going through the lens is to be 100% perpendicular. No camera would be that far off. You don't have a bad camera. The closer you get to an object, the more crucial it si to have this perpendicular/parallel alignment. This is elementary, my dear Watson.

adegroot's gear list:adegroot's gear list
Sigma DP1 Merrill Sigma DP2 Merrill Sigma DP3 Merrill Sigma dp0 Quattro Sigma SD15 +14 more
Post (hide subjects) Posted by
jbr
jbr
jbr
spm
jbr
jbr
jbr
jbr
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow