raw+jpeg, a challenge for rx100 owners

Started Sep 2, 2012 | Discussions thread
Robert Deutsch Forum Pro • Posts: 10,163
Another jpeg vs. RAW comparison

OK, here's my attempt at the jpeg/RAW comparison. For the jpeg, I started with the in-camera Contrast and Saturation set at -2 and Sharpness at -1. I've found these parameters to yield the most natural results after post-processing. For both jpegs and RAW files, I opened them in Camera Raw ACR, adjusted all the parameters for what I judged to be the best results (which had to be different for each image file), then opened in CS6, made any sharpness adjustment as necessary, and saved it at level 8. The first three images are resized: first the OOC image, then the camera's jpeg processed in Camera Raw, anth third the "real" RAW processed image. The last two images are full-sized crops, first the jpeg-processed-in-Camera-Raw and then the jpeg=processed-from-RAW.

In general--and I've done this sort of comparison many times--the suitably-processed RX100 jpegs were excellent, and the difference between the results from these jpegs vs. RAW files was smaller than I've found with any other camera where I did this comparison (several Canon DSLRs, Panasonic m4/3, and the Canon and Samsung high-end compacts). For me, the major incentive to shoot RAW is that you can always go back to the original image file and change the processing if new methods become available, whereas with jpegs some of the important parameters (NR, sharpening, etc.) are "cooked," so you can't fully reverse them.

Bob

Robert Deutsch's gear list:Robert Deutsch's gear list
Olympus E-M5 II
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow