We wuz robbed !!!!!

Started Aug 28, 2012 | Discussions thread
Robert Garcia NYC Senior Member • Posts: 2,040
Re: DPR gold vs silver awards

Rehabdoc wrote:

Exactly. The reviews are used by people to pick a camera to by. If the gold award is not going to the Best camera in its class (by a wide margin) right now, what good is it to have the award?

People who are trying to justify a silver are using disingenuous descriptions of the usability and other factors that are misleadingly harsh. "not a fully realized camera"? That is untrue and sounds like the description of a 1st generation alpha prototype with deal-breaker type flaws that doesn't consistently lock focus and lags 3 seconds to write a file.

Offer a choice between using this camera and any other truly pocketable camera and the smart person will choose this one. The reviewer would too, if he didn't already have a ton of kit and can afford to wait to buy future cameras. For people buying today this is THE compact camera, and I'd DPR is trying to steer buyers right, they should give it the gold. If the reviewer has personal quirks and tastes he can put it in his copy at the end, but the award should reflect the camera's ranking or it misleads buyers.

It's precisely because of reviews like this one that I literally don't hold dpreview in as high a regard as I used to. I think they offer wonderful information. But the reviews are simply way too biased or at best, capricious.

Exactly, I agree with you totally. I won't put to much stock in DPReview anymore as I used to it's what good to them and not the masses. They should have stuck with Highly Recommended instead of this Gold/Silver system it's unhuman : ) I listen to Cameralabs way more closely than DPreviews they have the pulse on what's going on. If I were doing reviews and I didn't like the camera for whatever the reason I would have still had to give it the highest award because they took it to a new level and it works perfectly as stated by it's company. Not to mention user feedback has been for the most part great. "1000 french men can't be wrong" : )

Post (hide subjects) Posted by
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
ET2
Fsi
fjs
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow