We wuz robbed !!!!!

Started Aug 28, 2012 | Discussions thread
tbcass
tbcass Forum Pro • Posts: 32,552
Re: DPR gold vs silver awards

Ray Sachs wrote:

Except that much about what makes a camera that little bit greater than another often isn't quantifiable or even "objective". Its the greater than the sum of its parts argument. Its why some auto magazines will rate one car better than another despite all of the objective measures suggesting the opposite just because everyone on the staff was always trying to take one of them out for a drive and find the other kind of boring... Some cars are just more fun to drive, even if you can't figure out why. And some that seem to hit on EVERY metric just don't inspire in the same way. Well, I think its the same with cameras. And any group of reviewers that DON'T take this into account are nothing but a bunch on number crunchers. I wouldn't find those reviews worth nearly as much as those that also consider the intangibles.

So I'd just look at the basic scores to narrow the search a bit (and I wouldn't even worry about the minor differences in scores at the top - I'd just use the scores to weed out the obvious clunkers) and then read the reviews. They full of useful information that can help you figure out whether a camer is worth putting on your short list and then going and checking out in person. I like that the "awards" sometimes aren't in line with the scoring - if something scores a gold despite not having all that high a score I know that's a camera I want to check out because it probably has some personality. Which I might or might not end up liking, but to me it suggests something worth playing with to see if I mesh with it.

I guess I have to disagree with you. Subjective feelings about a camera vary greatly from person to person. Just because one or a few reviewers feel a certain way doesn't mean you or I will feel the same way. For thar reason I completely ignore subjective ratings unless I know the reviewers likes and dislikes. A good example is Carl Gerrard. What he likes in a camera is almost always the opposite of what I like. For that reason, aside from the objective numbers, when he dislikes a camera I willl probably like it. When he likes a camera I may well dislike it. If a poll could be taken among say 100 expert users and 90 like it there is a good chance I will like it.

The reviews are a great tool to narrow your search but they should NEVER be the determining factor in your decision. And your enjoyment of a piece of gear, once you've chosen it for your own reasons, should never be affected because a reviewer or two don't like it quite as much as you do. That should in NO WAY invalidate your choice or somehow make you feel ripped off!

Of course is exactly what I was trying to say.

-- hide signature --
 tbcass's gear list:tbcass's gear list
Sony RX100 Tamron SP AF 90mm F/2.8 Di Macro Sony DT 35mm F1.8 SAM Tamron SP 70-300mm F/4-5.6 Di USD Sony RX10 III +9 more
Post (hide subjects) Posted by
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
ET2
Fsi
fjs
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow