At last - Complete article on new way to use AF on the E-M5

Started Aug 28, 2012 | Discussions thread
micksh6
micksh6 Senior Member • Posts: 2,613
Re: Thanks Siegfried....

The first part of the article is composed from Olympus marketing materials, it's not very useful.

The suggestion to choose Oly lenses vs Pana for ultimate AF speed is not supported by any tests and in some cases is simply wrong. For example, Pana 25mm F1.4 lens won't focus slower than any Oly MSC lens. And it may often be faster in low light because no Oly lens has F1.4 aperture.

Advise to use 35 area AF is like advise to shoot in iAuto mode. Many prefer to define focus point themselves instead of letting camera to define it for them.

After digesting a lot of irrelevant information I found only one useful piece in the article - "do not let background in the AF rectangle". But this should be obvious and it applies to any CDAF camera, not only E-M5.

The article deserves a lot of criticism. But of course it's easier to say "keep up good work and ignore critics". This also pictures you as a nicer and better person than those rude vulgarians who disagree. The problem is that such position doesn't help to write better articles.

papillon_65 wrote:

Although I don't have problems with my OMD and focusing (mainly because I've been using CDAF focusing since it became prominent and understand how it works) I appreciate the time and effort it takes to do the research and write about it. Of course there is an element of subjectivity about it and there's no problem with that as AFAIC. It's a shame that some people don't appreciate that fact and feel the need to be rather unpleasant about your efforts. I realise you asked to be challenged about your findings but there's a way of doing that without being an a$$ and the fact that some people don't seem to be capable of doing it in a reasonable manner says more about them than it does about you. Keep you doing your good work and posting here and ignore those that can't help themselves from being unpleasant.

micksh6's gear list:micksh6's gear list
Olympus PEN E-PL5 Olympus E-M1 Olympus M.Zuiko Digital ED 9-18mm F4.0-5.6 Panasonic Leica Summilux DG 25mm F1.4 Olympus M.Zuiko Digital ED 40-150mm 1:4-5.6 R +6 more
Post (hide subjects) Posted by
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow