D800 & the amazing 85 1.4G

Started Aug 30, 2012 | Discussions thread
OP JMacedo Senior Member • Posts: 2,336
Re: Same angle again...

I just have two questions to you and hope you don't feel offended...

Who are you to tell me what I can post or not post?

Are you as Canon shooter now dictating what photos should or not be posted here just because FOR you they are boring or not up to your very high standards?

You really seemed bothered by my humble pics... just relax and go taking some photos, life is too short you know?

Gediminas 8 wrote:

JMacedo wrote:

Thank you for your opinion and critique... everyone is entitled to have one...

but don't you think sometimes there is a bit more to it than just assessing the skill of lack of it, like the image quality a combo can produce? Or sharing experiences with the Nikon FX gear we use?

Agreed, always interesting to see what some combos can produce, especially when we're talking some of the best cameras and lenses in a system. It's just that - feel free to correct me if I'm wrong - you have already shown this particular combo at least three times, all with very similar images taken during the same trip, and it becomes less interesting every time. (Not that there is a limit as to how many times one can show something - it's just that repetition breeds boredom.) To me at least.

Positive or negative feedback is always welcome if constructive. I might not be a skilled photographer as you seem to be but I find your trashing approach or tone a bit rude, not totally "Fair" as you say.

I apologise if you find my quickly-worded message rude. Also, I do not consider myself more than an average photographer, but I hope this does not deprive me of the right to an opinion on others' work. Perhaps part of the problem causing the reaction is that the travel portrait has become such a cliche in photography, and seeing even more of the same is disappointing.

As already mentioned, you did nail it with at least one other image (IMO), just not these. Did you mention before that you took some thousands / many GB's of images during this trip? My suggestion would be to select more ruthlessly, or at least show fewer but more varied and only your best images. Do you really think the photo of the guy with his mouth open is worth sharing as a good example?

And tell you what - as a Canon shooter, I am not a frequent visitor in the Nikon branch of this site, but once an images thread makes it to the front page in the forum titled D4-D1/D800 I always open it with some trepidation, expecting to see some of the most stunning work to be found anywhere on this site. I even had some threads bookmarked, simply due to the sheer technical - and artistic - quality of the work shown. Please do not spoil this impression of only the very best being shown here.

-- hide signature --

A travel gallery of my country and some others:
http://www.pbase.com/lithuania

-- hide signature --
 JMacedo's gear list:JMacedo's gear list
Nikon Coolpix AW100 Nikon D300 Nikon D800 Nikon AF-S Nikkor 14-24mm f/2.8G ED Nikon AF-S Nikkor 24-70mm f/2.8G ED +5 more
Post (hide subjects) Posted by
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow