We wuz robbed !!!!!

Started Aug 28, 2012 | Discussions thread
Ray Sachs
Ray Sachs Forum Pro • Posts: 10,580
Re: We wuz robbed !!!!!

Based on your logic, the very first m43 cameras should have gotten gold awards - there was nothing else that did what they did at all, let alone did it as well. But none of them did. The G1 and EP1 were groundbreaking cameras that a certain sub-group was looking for and gobbled up enthusiastically, but the camera's were FAR from fully realized cameras - they just invented a new subgroup of their own. I may be wrong, but I don't think any m43 camera got a silver award until the GH2 and EP3 and both of those are great cameras, but still with their own limitations. The OMD was the first m43 camera to get a gold and that was about 3-4 years along. The RX100 is the first camera that does what it does and is groundbreaking in that respect, but its far from a fully realized camera. It has some incredible strengths- - I'm not trying to downplay them - I freaking BOUGHT one! But its not a fully realized camera either. It DOES have weaknesses. Most gold award winners have only trivial weaknesses - they're great on just about every level and in every way - there are minor issues to quibble over but the big stuff is pretty obviously all there.

If I accept your criteria, I'd say it should get a gold award too. But I don't and evidently neither does the DPR staff. So we're just gonna have to agree to disagree.

-Ray
-------------------------
http://www.flickr.com/photos/20889767@N05/collections/72157626204295198/

Post (hide subjects) Posted by
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
ET2
Fsi
fjs
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow