Sold all my Nikon gear...

Started Aug 28, 2012 | Discussions thread
sean000 Veteran Member • Posts: 7,326
Re: I am close, but it will cost me to completely switch

I have barely touched my Nikon D200 in recent months. I should absolutely sell the stuff before it loses more value, but I just can't let go yet. But upgrading from the GF1 to the EM-5 has pushed me to the brink. The only problem is that for now it's cheaper for me to hang onto my Nikon gear than it would be to sell it and buy m4/3 equivalents.

The main reason I rarely shoot the Nikon these days is because I have a two-year-old and a two-month-old baby at home. M4/3 is just more family-friendly since it is easier to carry and easier for my wife to operate so I can be in some of the photos. The E-M5 produces better image quality than my old D200, but I have some amazing lenses for the D200 which makes for better photos at lower ISO. I have sold a number of my Nikon lenses to pay for m4/3 lenses (as well as the E-M5 upgrade), but I would not be able to sell the following lenses for enough to completely pay for m4/3 equivalents:

• 10.5mm f/2.8 fisheye: I would need an extra $200 (at least) to get the Panasonic

• 17-55mm f/2.8: Again I'd probably need a couple hundred to switch to the Panasonic 12-35mm

• 80-200mm f/2.8: Probably only $500 resale value, so I'd need a lot more for the Panasonic 35-100mm f/2.8

• 12-24mm f/4: Another couple hundred to get the Oly 9-18mm

So I could sell all these Nikon lenses, but I will need more than $1,000 additional to purchase the m4/3 equivalents. Now I also have a 300mm f/4 I could probably sell for $1,000, but then I'd want to replace it with either the 100-300mm or the 75-300mm. Either would be inferior to the 300mm f/4, but much lighter and smaller.

Then there are all of the filters, flashguns, and other accessories I purchased specifically for my Nikon camera and lenses. Overall I'd say my out-of-pocket cost of completely switching over will be at least $1,500. Might be worth it to me though since so much of my Nikon gear sits on a shelf these days. If I'm heading out to specifically photograph an event, architecture, or landscapes I will take my Nikon gear (although I will use my m4/3 gear for quite a number of shots as well), but I rarely get to go on photo shoots these days. Maybe when the kids are older

When it comes to photographing my family (which is mostly what I photograph these days), nothing beats my Olympus 45mm f/1.8 and Panasonic 20mm f/1.7. The Panasonic 35-200mm f/2.8 would be sweet though. As would the 75mm f/1.8.

So my plan is to sell Nikon lenses and purchase m4/3 equivalents as I can afford to do so. Part of me resists because I might want to get another Nikon DSLR in the future, but I have a hard time figuring out why I would want to go back to carrying a DSLR when m4/3 is so capable? I still prefer my DSLR for action/sports, but I rarely do that kind of stuff. By the time my kids are playing sports (and given their parents they are more likely to be acting or performing music), m4/3 will probably be as good at fast action as a DSLR.

Sean

sean000's gear list:sean000's gear list
Olympus Stylus XZ-10 Nikon D70 Nikon D200 Panasonic Lumix DMC-GF1 Olympus OM-D E-M5 +14 more
Post (hide subjects) Posted by
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow