d800 on automatic

Started Aug 29, 2012 | Discussions thread
faterikcartman Contributing Member • Posts: 553
Re: d800 on automatic

nikon0 wrote:

I don't know too much about photography. Right now, about the only two modes I've learned to master are Automatic and No Flash.

I currently use a D90. What I would like to know is that, given my limited experience & knowledge, how much of an improvement would my photographs see if I upgraded to a D800?

My D800 is almost always set to M for manual. In part, because I am a control freak, but also because I understand how to make a camera work that way and it is easier for me than to figure out all the automatic modes that are supposed to make my life easier.

In case you don't read between the lines I think a poster above is right that you may not get much out of the camera other than frustration unless you're willing to really learn a lot more.

If you can, before you buy the camera buy a book and see if you are up for the learning curve. I think this one will be relatively easy to follow (if their D700 book is any indicator of what to expect): http://www.amazon.com/Mastering-Nikon-D800-Darrell-Young/dp/1937538052/ref=sr_1_3?s=books&ie=UTF8&qid=1346224546&sr=1-3&keywords=d800

If you read this and think "no sweat" by all means pick up the camera if you can afford it (but see a caveat below).

If you pefer to stay in auto mode and are essentially looking for a point-and-shoot camera with high quality image potential don't buy the D800. There are some really great cameras out there now with even decent optical quality that you should consider. You'll get great images and save money and headaches.

Moreover, if you don't intend to print big -- 17" wide and up -- I really think the D800 is a waste of money. Get a D700 if you're not going to make big prints even if you want to learn all the nitty gritty of cameras and photography. You should be able to get one for a song. Far too many people have bought a D800 and never even print at all. Look at the pixel resolution of your computer monitor. Now look at the resolution in pixel width and height of a D800. Far too many people have let their ego get between their wallet and common sense. There all over this board. Think realistically about what you're trying to acomplish and avoid becoming like the people I've alluded to.

Hope this helps.

Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow