At last - Complete article on new way to use AF on the E-M5

Started Aug 28, 2012 | Discussions thread
Anders W Forum Pro • Posts: 21,466
Re: At last - Complete article on new way to use AF on the E-M5

BushmanOrig wrote:

After much work I finally completed a full article that will help you adapt your style to get even better results from your E-P3 or your E-M5.

In the recent post on this subject you will have noticed I purposely provoked the discussion a little - all my apologies to those involved Reason was to prepare the readers to be open minded when reading this article.

It is only when you really sit back and take in the new way of photography cameras like the E-M5 offer to us, that you will fully enjoy the new and advanced technologies Olympus for example developed.

Are the Panasonic lenses really less compatible with the E-M5 and therefor deliver a potential much poorer performance? I leave this one up to you to answer.....

I thought that's a question you purported to answer in your blog post, where you said that

If it was absolute AF speed or best camera lens performance I was looking for, I would go back to the Olympus lens offer only

So where are your tests showing that Olympus lenses always outperform Panasonic lenses for AF speed on Olympus bodies?

And to the extent that there are indeed, in areas other than AF, compatibility problems with Panasonic lenses on Olympus bodies, whose fault do you consider that to be?

In the post I link to below, you find examples of such compatibility problems recently discussed on the forum. You might want to have a look at those before you respond.

http://forums.dpreview.com/forums/read.asp?forum=1041&message=42303393

BushmanOrig wrote (in the blog post itself):

Therefore please challenge things I write

As you can see, I do my best.

Thinking about this, I am again and again surprised when I read photographers saying the Panasonic m43 lens option combined with the Olympus body gives best results.

Who did you find saying that Panasonic lenses combined with an Olympus body universally gives best results?

I know some, including me, who would say that, for some purposes, a Panasonic lens combined with an Olympus body gives them the best results given their requirements. That's something rather different and I don't find it surprising at all.

Are you surprised at my claim that I find, for example, the Panasonic 7-14/4, the 14-45/3.5-5.6, or the 20/1.7 preferable to their closest Olympus counterparts for use with my Olympus E-M5 body? If so, why?

Olympus claim that the PEN 3 range including the E-M5, have the quickest AF performance of all cameras available today. How they tested these claims are not that important to me personally, more important are the fact that Olympus feel confident enough to make these claims. We also know from history that Olympus were always known for it’s leading role building new technologies and patents and in many ways shaping the industry.

To me, the important thing is not what Olympus is "confident" (if that's the word) to do. To me, the important thing is whether someone other than Olympus, with appropriate skills and without vested interests, has tested it and found it to be correct. Olympus is known not only "for its leading role [in] building new technologies" but also for making exaggerated claims of various kinds, e.g., about its AF systems and the "newness" of its PEN 3 sensors.

In the “old” SLR days we used to fine tune front and back focussing lens characteristics into high end SLR bodies. In the future we could see auto lens calibration options in cameras like the E-M7

Calibration systems of the kind you are talking about are not needed with CDAF systems operating on the basis of information from the image sensor. So as long as MFT sticks with CDAF only, we won't need them.

Most probably the E-M5 did not give the full OK, green (steady green) signal, instead the green AF Led flashed indicating a problem and I just continued pressing the shutter all the way taking the image.

If this was indeed the mistake you made, you can easily prevent it by setting Rls Priority in the release section of the custom menu to off.

One important function probably most of us “experts” needs to learn to work with is face recognition.

It is not something I either need or want to learn. If I want the camera to focus on a (specific) face, I will simply tell it do so.

Some people complain about the fact that the E-M5 does not stay in the Zoom AF Frame mode when the E-M5 is switched off and then on again. Again that is fundamentally wrong to force the E-M5 to function like an old style SLR camera. Let the E-M5 default back to the multi AF selection and as you will master it in the future and get use to the different style of focussing with the E-M5.

They are perfectly justified in making that complaint. It is not fundamentally wrong for a photographer to optimize the focus target him- or herself rather than have the camera suboptimize it. However, you are fundamentally wrong in your belief to the contrary.

Anders W's gear list:Anders W's gear list
Panasonic Lumix DMC-G1 Olympus OM-D E-M5 Olympus E-M1 Panasonic Lumix G Vario 14-45mm F3.5-5.6 ASPH OIS Panasonic Lumix G Vario 7-14mm F4 ASPH +28 more
Post (hide subjects) Posted by
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow