Canon 1Ds mkIII and the Dolomites in June 2012

Started Aug 24, 2012 | Discussions thread
Press Correspondent
Press Correspondent Veteran Member • Posts: 3,345
Re: Try D800

Not that I care to continue the argument, but you are still missing my point. With a more than 2-stop DR advantage, a single shot from D800 would have cleaner shadows than a Canon shot bracketed at +1 or even +2 stops. Your logic would apply only to bracketing +4 or possibly at least +3 stops, but per your explanation, you normally only bracket +1 stops. You could also bracket on D800 and it may provide arguably better results, but my point was that, if you are already happy with the results from bracketing Canon, then you would not need to bracket Nikon to get even better results.

Also, high ISO always wins over pulling shadows, because of the read noise. Try shooting something at ISO 1600 with your 1Ds3, then use the same shutter speed and aperture at ISO 100 and pull it 4 stops in PP. The difference will be beyond dramatic. It is less so on D800, but still there.

Hans Kruse wrote:

Sure optimal exposure is better. However, in my limited testing of D800, pulling shadows 4 stops did not significantly affect the colors. The 5th stop did. Some pull up to 7. I wouldn't bother bracketing for shadows on D800, but the OP does it to select the perfect exposure to start with that is fine too of course.

The points being made here was not towards the D800 at all. I'm sure the D800 is a fine camera. I haven't tried it yet but I have guests on workshops this autumn who come with D800 cameras so will have a look at real landscape scenes.

Pulling shadows is fine to a certain degree and I'm sure this goes with the D800 as well. If you pull shadows 4 stops from ISO 100 they are equivalent to ISO 1600 and 5 stops ISO 3200 and 7 stops ISO 12800! Compared to blending bracketed shots this will give poor IQ. I fully understand that it is great to be able to recover shots with vast underexposure and still get a usable picture out of it, but that is not the best for IQ. Improvements in Lightroom 4.x and also the new 32bit support for Photoshop HDR Pro gives new possibilities with better IQ and still natural renderings than pulling shadows from a single exposure. Of course you cannot always bracket and/or blend images.

I don't think anybody has lost the D800 discussion here in the forum

Press Correspondent's gear list:Press Correspondent's gear list
Olympus XZ-1 Canon EOS 5D Mark III Canon EF 50mm f/1.4 USM Canon EF 17-40mm f/4.0L USM Canon EF 70-200mm f/4.0L USM +11 more
Post (hide subjects) Posted by
tko
cna
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow