Help Me Focus, Nikon gurus

Started Aug 27, 2012 | Discussions thread
Shop cameras & lenses ▾
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Flat view
nickwhite
nickwhite Regular Member • Posts: 107
Help Me Focus, Nikon gurus

Over the weekend I had the opportunity to shoot an awards ceremony. Basically, a person walked across the stage, shook hands with someone, and got handed a medal. It was my goal to take the photo right when they shook hands.

I took 100+ photos, and about 15-20% of them turned out out-of-focus.

I'm shooting a D3200 with a 35mm/f1.8. I've always used this camera by selecting from one of the 11 focus points, and here, I attempted to use one of the leftmost points. I'm shooting M, so I can control the ISO, shutter speed, and aperture. I have the focus mode set to AF-S, and AF-area mode set to single point. Here's an example of one that turned out ok:

Here is one NOT ok:

It seems in all the OOF shots, it focused on the ceiling. I don't think anything is wrong with the camera, but with the person operating it. Could you guys give me some tips on ways I could nail the focus more often? It may just be that I need more practice with this camera. I know the D90/D7000 has way more focus points, but I may have botched these photos with one of those bodies as well.

Thanks for the input. -Nick

nickwhite's gear list:nickwhite's gear list
Nikon D3200
Nikon D3200 Nikon D90
If you believe there are incorrect tags, please send us this post using our feedback form.
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Flat view
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow