just got 7d, I am really frustrated right now.

Started Aug 27, 2012 | Discussions thread
Topaz Contributing Member • Posts: 588
Re: Don't blame the camera

ARShutterbug wrote:

The lens is the more likely problem, especially when dealing with third-party lenses. Do you have a regular Canon EF lens available? The Live View focusing is slower in its focus-search, so it may be that your third-party lenses don't like the focus speed of the 7D. That actually sounds silly to me. How about switching to AI Servo? Can either of your lenses track an object?

I agree with ARShutterbug that you should try to replicate the problem on Canon lenses. I have always had a terrible time shooting with my only non-Canon lens (a Sigma 30mm). It's not a micro adjust problem either; it back focuses as often as it front focuses. And it is much worse with phase detect focus than contrast detect during live view.

No trouble with any of my Canon lenses, on the other hand. Superb focus, virtually all the time.

The one bit of happy news is that, unless it's my imagination, the Sigma lens's focus got much, much better after the 2.0 firmware upgrade. But I have a wild imagination.

Post (hide subjects) Posted by
BAK
BAK
BAK
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow