Apple awarded $1.05b settlement with Samsung

Started Aug 25, 2012 | Discussions thread
jfelbab Senior Member • Posts: 1,842
Re: Apples legal action was thrown out of court in the UK

57even wrote:

Laurentiu Todie wrote:

Apple traded shares for a Xerox license, hired some of PARC's scientists, promised to not compete with floor computer models and designed the GUI for personal computers.

Only after they tried to sue.

Ignorance is bliss.

Well you would know. I was there at the time.

Is it possible that your memory may be fading. I was in IT at a Fortune 50 company at the time and recall this timeline. I had a Star in my office for evaluation, BTW.

Here is the timeline as has been related several times in the media. This following extracted from: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/PARC_ (company)#Adoption_by_Apple

The first successful commercial GUI product was the Apple Macintosh, which was heavily inspired by PARC's work; Xerox was allowed to buy pre-IPO stock from Apple, in exchange for engineer visits and an understanding that Apple would create a GUI product.

Much later, in the midst of the 1988–1994 Apple v. Microsoft lawsuit, in which Apple accused Microsoft of violating its copyright by appropriating the use of the "look and feel" of the Apple Macintosh GUI, Xerox also sued Apple on similar grounds. The Xerox lawsuit was dismissed because the presiding judge dismissed most of Xerox's complaints as being inappropriate for a variety of legal reasons.

However, Apple's designs included quite a few concepts that were not part of (or were non-trivial advances to) the prototype developed at PARC. For example:

The mouse was not invented at PARC, but by Douglas Engelbart in 1963, Apple's mouse was an improvement on PARC's version.

Unlike the Macintosh, PARC's prototype was incapable of any direct manipulation of widgets.

Unlike the Macintosh, PARC's prototype did not feature Menu bars, or pull-down menu, nor the trash.
Unlike the Macintosh, PARC's windows could not overlap each other.

-- hide signature --

Jim
'There are no rules for good photographs, there are only good photographs.'
-- Ansel Adams

Post (hide subjects) Posted by
(unknown member)
T3
T3
T3
T3
T3
T3
T3
T3
T3
tko
T3
T3
T3
ck3
tko
tko
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow