Apple awarded $1.05b settlement with Samsung

Started Aug 25, 2012 | Discussions thread
57even Forum Pro • Posts: 12,306
Re: Apples legal action

Perhaps you have a different standard of "intellectual" regarding intellectual property.

T3 wrote:

CFynn wrote:

Yes the iPhone and iPad have a very nice UI - but what about that UI is so original ? Much better looking - and maybe better integrated - than what went before I agree - but should you be able to patent using good design?.

Go back and look at what the UI was like before the iPhone and iPad! The difference will be clear !!! And it's not just about being "original". You can have an "original" UI that's cr@p. The point about Apple's UI is that people like it, and their competitors like it so much that they try to emulate it, oftentimes emulating it quite closely. And yes, subtle things like "much better looking" are also very important, and more important than many people realize. Indeed, many people will choose one product over another simply because product A is "much better looking" than product B. So it's a factor that should not be trivialized. "Better looking" and "good design" are very important factors, and depending on just how blatant and slavishly a competitor copies your "better looking" and "good design", you should be able to take it to court and let a jury evaluate the issue.

I have to use an iPhone, iPad, a Galaxy Nexus and a Galaxy tab at work for some things - both systems are very "pretty" and have thousands of mostly useless apps - along with some good ones. Personally the smart phone I use is a Nokia n900 running Linux which is nowhere near as pretty but which I find far more useful, and far less frustrating, than either the iPhone or Nexus. At work I'm spending my time trying to get round some of the the limitations and restrictions of iOS and Android to enable devices running those operating systems to do things I can do on the n900 very easily.

If you prefer the N900, then use the N900. Simple.

57even's gear list:57even's gear list
Fujifilm X-Pro2
Post (hide subjects) Posted by
(unknown member)
T3
T3
T3
T3
T3
T3
T3
T3
T3
tko
T3
T3
T3
ck3
tko
tko
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow