Apple awarded $1.05b settlement with Samsung

Started Aug 25, 2012 | Discussions thread
T3 Forum Pro • Posts: 21,166
Re: Apple: Shameless about stealing!!!

mrsfixit wrote:

And it's not like Apple has to do this- they're one of the the richest companies on the planet.

Apple does have to do this, because ANY smart company has to protect their products, especially when they were so blatantly ripped off like they were by Samsung. And when you say they don't have to do this because they are "the richest company", all you have to do is look at Kodak to realize that fortunes change if companies aren't vigilant. Five years from now, Apple could be Kodak, and Americans will once again be bemoaning the loss of an American giant (or in your case, you'll be rejoicing the loss of an American giant, reveling in all those Apple stores closing down and all those people losing their jobs).

Their greed is appalling. They treat their workers both here and abroad like garbage.

That's non-sense. Overseas manufacturing workers are the employees of Foxconn which also manufactures Microsoft's XBOX 360, Amazon's Kindle, Sony's Playstation, and a lot of other products for a lot of other companies. Also, unlike these other companies, Apple has stepped up demanding better working conditions for these Foxconn workers. Plus, in the US, Apple employees do pretty well and are quite happy (hardly treated "like garbage"). Apple store Genius's are among the most highly paid workers in consumer retail electronics.

They charge twice as much for products made with the same parts, and in the same factories, as other manufacturers.

It's always what the market will bear. Simple as that.

The only thing unique about Apple's products is the software. Their hardware is pretty standard now.

As a lifelong Windows user who bought an iMac a few months ago, and still uses Windows PCs in addition to my iMac, I can absolutely tell you that my iMac makes every Windows machine I have ever owned seem like cheap junk. Yes, the OS is much nicer. But the hardware is also much nicer, too. I ended up getting a Mac because a lot of my friends who had been longtime Windows users were making the switch and were extremely happy with the switch. So when it came time for me to replace my desktop (I still have two Windows laptops), I got an iMac, and WOW I am so happy. The hardware, software, and service have been second to none. Did I pay a little more for Apple? Absolutely. But for me, it's been worth every penny. To say that the " only thing unique about Apple's products is the software" is waaaaay off the mark.

They've turned from the little company that became a success, to a monster that wants to devour all it's competitors and rule the market.

I think every company has those aspirations. But you just can't slavishly rip off other products in trying to do so. That's why Apple had to go after Samsung.

They will continue to sue competitors, and if they continue to (pay off judges and jurors) win, it will be a sad day for the American consumer.

Ok, now you're really cuckoo . Paying off judges and jurors? LOL. There goes any morsel of credibility you might have had. Hahaha!

I can foresee a day when the only products on the shelves will be those made by Apple, or those forced to pay extortionate royalties to Apple.

Uh, no. Apple still only holds about 12% of the PC market, and barely half the cell phone market. Things can change very rapidly. Just look at how things turned for Palm, which owned the PDA market. They lost it. Just look at Blackberry, which owned the business smart phone market. They lost it. Just look at Windows which was the defacto OS for smart phones in the early days of smart phones with their Windows Mobile OS. They lost it. Things can change very quickly.

Either way, the prices will rise, and the consumer will lose.

More paranoia on your part.

When the day comes where I have to choose between an iPhone, or no phone- I'll choose no phone.

Crazy, much? LOL.

T3's gear list:T3's gear list
Canon EOS 60D Olympus PEN E-PL3 Canon EOS M Fujifilm X-E1 Sony a6000 +17 more
Post (hide subjects) Posted by
(unknown member)
T3
T3
T3
T3
T3
T3
T3
T3
T3
tko
T3
T3
T3
ck3
tko
tko
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow