Canon 1Ds mkIII and the Dolomites in June 2012

Started Aug 24, 2012 | Discussions thread
OP Hans Kruse Veteran Member • Posts: 3,398
Re: Try D800

Press Correspondent wrote:

Only so far as highlights are not blown, but in shadows it has more reserve than Canon with bracketing. Even if you want to expose optimally and then bracket for potentially clipped highlights, you definitely do not need to bracket for shadows on D800. It is especially helpful with moving subjects, like clouds, etc., which may be difficult to blend after they have moved.

The reason for optimal exposure is to choose in post processing the best exposure to work from. The clipping indicators on the LCD histogram are not reliable enough.

But you still bracket every shot.

Yes, as explained to choose the optimal exposure in pp.

Sure you may stay with Canon. It is just a thought that D800 is a tool with a strength in your particular type of photography. But your images show that Canon is also capable of producing great results with proper technique.

I'm not saying anything against the D800, but the 1Ds mkIII does really not limit my type of photography, so I see little reason to change brands for a marginal improvement and give some other things up. But thanks for the comments

Hans Kruse's gear list:Hans Kruse's gear list
Canon EOS 5DS
Post (hide subjects) Posted by
tko
cna
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow