FF v APS?

Started Mar 12, 2012 | Discussions thread
Great Bustard Forum Pro • Posts: 38,500
Re: Not quite.

gdanmitchell wrote:

Great Bustard wrote:

So, let's take this bit by bit:

Yes. Let's.

• Bokeh is the quality of the blur, not the quantity of blur, and FF has no inherent advantage over crop for that. FF does, however, generally allow for more blur and a more shallow DOF for a given perspective and framing.

Some contend that the source word in Japanese had a meaning that was initially taken, when adapted to photography, to refer to the quality of the soft, non-subject area of an image. However, two points...

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bokeh

/ In photography, bokeh (Originally ˈboʊkɛ ,[1] ˈboʊkeɪ BOH-kay — also sometimes heard as ˈboʊkə BOH-kə,[2] Japanese: [boke]) is the blur,[3][4] or the aesthetic quality of the blur,[5][6][7] in out-of-focus areas of an image.

• It is crop, not FF, that requires sharper lenses, since for photos displayed at the same size, the crop photo must be enlarged by a factor of 1.6x compared to FF.

Exactly right. I'm surprised at how many people have a problem understanding this basic principle. Of course, it only matters when photographs are printed quite large - at smaller sizes, say screen sizes, the differences are essentially invisible to viewers.

Of course, some lenses designed for APS-C are significantly than their FF counterparts, and this mitigates the FF advantage.

• APS-C has "longer focal length advantages" due to the smaller pixels, not due to the smaller sensor. If an FF sensor were made with the same size pixels, there would be no advantage (and, no, the smaller pixels will not result in more noise, so long as the sensor is at least as efficient).

Yes. And no.

It's entirely "yes" in terms of "reach". Two systems that have sensors with the same pixel density have the same "reach", if we define "reach" as the number of pixels put on the subject for a given focal length, perspective, and framing.

Myself, I'm in favor of defining "reach" in terms of detail resolved on the subject, and thus the sharpness of the lens used also figures into it.

Operational considerations, such as viewfinder coverage and AF do not figure into "reach", but, yes, I concede that they do figure into "longer focal length advantages" for different systems.

Post (hide subjects) Posted by
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow