assistance with comparison of Nikon d5100 and Sony a65

Started Aug 18, 2012 | Discussions thread
ktisis Forum Member • Posts: 68
Re: Try both and choose, and don't forget system

toomanycanons wrote:

I dunno. When I wanted to get my first DSLR I took Ken Rockwell's advice and got a D40. No endless anguishing, no endless questions. After awhile of D40 ownership I noticed a few things: how great it was and how I was starting to need auto exposure bracketing. Neither of which I'd have noticed if I hadn't actually owned a DSLR.

In my opinion, that's the thing. A DSLR is a different beast from a point and shoot. You won't know what you like and what you'd like to have until you use one for a while. Worse, the high-end models can easily overwhelm a new DSLR owner. Thus, there are entry-level DSLRs like the D50, D40, D3100/D3200, etc. They still blow away most of the point and shoots in terms of IQ AND control.

And, if you buy the entry-level model (or a great condition used one from a reputable source), you'll likely lose less money if you decide the DSLR isn't really for you, whether due to size, complexity, or other factors.

I still like my D50, and it has a couple of features (notably the ability to drive AF lenses) that require spending a good amount of money to replicate in the newest models. I remember agonizing over its purchase (D50 or the newer D40 or the entry-level Canon Digital Rebel XT at the time). In retrospect, it has strengths and weaknesses, but still functions beautifully. More importantly, I can now identify strengths and weaknesses of the cameras I didn't pick then and those I might consider purchasing now.

Post (hide subjects) Posted by
MOD Mako2011
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow