Rob Galbraiths Rubbery figures.

Started Aug 24, 2012 | Discussions thread
39 Steps Regular Member • Posts: 403
Re: Rob Galbraiths Rubbery figures.

thubleau7 wrote:

I had a look at pages of data that Rob Galbraith had acquired on memory cards.
Rob tested these on high end Canon and Nikon cameras.

My take on Gallbraith's Canon EOS 5D Mark II vs Mark III write speed observations for:

"SanDisk Extreme Pro 95MB/s 16GB Actual Capacity: 15194MB
Protocols: SD 3.01 (UHS-1)
Internal Identifier: n/a
External Identifier: BL1129521761G

is that neither version of the Canon 5D is optomized for fastest writing to fast SD cards, and that SD UHS-1 bus writing is barely supported at all on the Canon EOS 5D Mark II. Keep in mind that the Mark II is rather old and that "semi-pro" video in a non-AVCHD format was a breakthrough feature at the time. (Or so I read a few years back).

My only real experience with Canon Video cameras at the time (early 2008) was to be one of the first to buy a Vixia HF 100 that supported Class 4 and Class 6 SD cards up to AVCHD 60i 1080x1920 at 17Mb/s. When Class 10 cards hit the market, Canon refused to update the firmware of the HF 100 to support Class 10.

However, it came to my attention yesterday that in mid 2011, Canon had relented and released newer firmware for Class 10 support on the Vixia HF 100. I installed the newer firmware, but then put the camera back on the shelf for further lack of use.

So go ahead and shoot this messenger as well, if need be, but please try to consider that Galbraith's tests may be displaying data for a cameras other than Sony of performance that may not be of directly comparable to our current Sony hardware or of a category that is identical to your tests.

Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow