EM-5 suitable for kids and pet photography?

Started Aug 21, 2012 | Discussions thread
Shop cameras & lenses ▾
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Flat view
realq86 Junior Member • Posts: 38
EM-5 suitable for kids and pet photography?

Hi everyone,

After months of waiting for a Sony FF, weeks of reading about m4/3, and days of discovering EM-5.

I think the A99 is a unicorn and looks like the EM-5 is a good solid camera providing most of what I originally wanted out of a FF body with modern amateur amenities.

I've read count less reviews of the EM-5 and have no doubt regarding its features and IQ especially the lens arsenal advantage over the NEX.

The sensor is most of the 5Dii.
The Panasonic 12-35 f/2.8 is worthy of a $1000 body.

I believe the EM-5 in RAW, 12-35, and Lr4 will make a great combination.

However I want to get a clear feedback on AF performance that I value as much as IQ. I'm buying a camera to keep priceless memories of my 7yr son and 2mo puppy. Both will NOT sit still for a camera and to make it worse, the Taiwanese lifestyle is mostly indoors.

With my current LX-5 and Canon 400D+Sigma 17-70 I have the following problem. The LX-5 actually gives me better IQ than the 400D under good light but goes to hell above ISO 1600. My 400D has a soft/slow lens and ISO1600, which is too slow most of the time.

The LX-5 is great portable but helplessly slow trying to catch up to my son and puppy. Its shot to shot speed and worse contrast-focus and tracking speed is useless on those 2 subjects. Thus I'm having to fall back on the 400D and its phase-detection focus even though I'll be taking a hit on IQ and under exposing. At the moment I'm making due with the cheap 50mm f/1.8II but thats too long indoors.

I'm sure the 2011 contrast detecting focus of EM-5 is much better than my LX-5, but WILL IT KEEP UP WITH KIDS AND PETS? Will this new mirror-less body focus and track as well as my 7yr old phase-detecting DSLR body?

Please fellow EM-5 owners who shoots fast erratic moving subjects share your experience. Should I suck it up and go back to a DSLR or will this new breed of contrast-detecting body work well enough?

I played around with the Sony RX-100 just now in AF-C and it was a joke. It was hunting back and forth focus like a vibrator on a STATIONARY object! Seems like that's Sony's electronic solution to tracking just randomly hunt back and forth and catch the object if it moves. Will the EM-5 do that?

Thanks!

Canon EOS 400D (EOS Digital Rebel XTi / EOS Kiss Digital X) Canon EOS 5D Mark II Sony Alpha a99
If you believe there are incorrect tags, please send us this post using our feedback form.
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Flat view
Post (hide subjects) Posted by
A4
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow