Updating backup after editing - LR4 Question.

Started Aug 20, 2012 | Discussions thread
Chris Noble
Chris Noble Senior Member • Posts: 2,280
Use a dummy Catalog for that purpose

DP said:

I am looking for a simple way to update my backups from LR4 after I've done additionl editing. I've tried to do an import and lightroom will not highlight any of the photo files to allow an import. Ideally, I was hoping for some sort of syncronazation, but I'm not sure if you can do that from one drive to another. Since the edits are in PS rather than LR, they aren't automatically updated. Any suggestions are appreciated.

Your edits are all stored in the LR Catalog File. LR can be set to backup the Catalog File each time it exits but not before. One "trick" is to set up a second Catalog File. When you want to back up, switch from your working Catalog to the second catalog; LR will close your working catalog file, and back it up (if you chose to back up the Catalog every time LR exits). As soon as you have switched to the second Catalog, switch back to your working catalog and you will be back where you left off with a backed-up Catalog File.

Do not duplicate the LR Catalog File using another program while LR is running. The backup will be corrupt, and you may cause access clashes to the Catalog File as it is a SQL database that has a lot of unresolved pointers when it is open.

Chris Noble's gear list:Chris Noble's gear list
Panasonic Lumix DMC-GM5 Panasonic Lumix DMC-G7 Panasonic Lumix G Vario 7-14mm F4 ASPH Panasonic Lumix G 20mm F1.7 ASPH Panasonic Leica Summilux DG 25mm F1.4 +3 more
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow