Canon Eos 7D or Sony A77

Started Aug 13, 2012 | Discussions thread
DA photo Regular Member • Posts: 274
Re: Canon Eos 7D or Sony A77

I have a Sony 5N with Sony's 350 dollar state of the art EVF and also a 7D. I like the Sony and use it for a lot of things but not sports. I do a lot of swim meets, car races, etc. The Sony does ten frames a second but does not track or re-focus after the first frame. Where the EVF falls down in comparison with the 7d is in bright light. I can get keepers with the Sony but many more keepers with the 7D because it focuses faster, tracks better, and has better viewfinder visibility. The EVF is ok but, IMO, the optical viewfinder on the 7D is significantly better as is the tracking of moving objects, (AI), metering (although the Sony is pretty good), and the focusing. I realize the A77 usees phase detection where my Sony does not. I know nothing about Sony telephotos for the A77 but my Canon L lenses perform superbly in action settings. Because the NEX 5N is small I carry it along with my Canon gear. I use it for street, parties, head shots. etc. When it comes to action I use the 7D. I could not have gotten the attached photo with an EVF. It was virtually dark when I took the picture and I used ISO 6400 with 7D.
--
DAphoto

DA photo's gear list:DA photo's gear list
Canon EF 100-400mm F4.5-5.6L IS II Canon EOS Rebel SL2 Canon EF 50mm f/1.8 II Canon EF-S 10-22mm f/3.5-4.5 USM Canon EF 55-200mm f/4.5-5.6 II USM +6 more
Post (hide subjects) Posted by
T3
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow