Ricoh GRD4 vs. Sony DSC RX100

Started Aug 9, 2012 | Discussions thread
Kavu Contributing Member • Posts: 522
Re: Ricoh GRD4 vs. Sony DSC RX100

I own both.

My wife needed a compact camera and I bought her the Sony RX100 (managed to find a barely used one on discount). I think it is a fantastic camera. Anyone interested in a compact camera (particularly with zoom), you'd be silly not to give the Sony a serious look (if you've got the scratch).

I kept the GRDIV for two reasons: 1) I need a small compact camera to carry around (the RX100 is primarily going to be used by the missus) 2) There are definitely some things that the GRD does easily that are hard, if not impossible, to match (amazing B&W photos right out of the camera, great user interface, etc. etc.). The GRD has a wonderful output quality to the jpegs with the right settings...

If I had to choose one, I'd probably go with the sony for overall versatility, though my heart might lean a little towards the GRD at this point....but I'm glad I don't have to choose one...

I haven't played enough with the files from the RX100 to give anything more than first impressions...

Kavu's gear list:Kavu's gear list
Ricoh GR Digital Sony RX100 Sony a77 II Fujifilm X-Pro2 Sony DT 16-80mm F3.5-4.5 ZA Carl Zeiss Vario-Sonnar T* +4 more
Post (hide subjects) Posted by
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow