Are you willing to let film die off? How do you really feel?

Started Aug 14, 2012 | Discussions thread
BruinBlue Regular Member • Posts: 107
Cloud storage is my future

RedFox88 wrote:

This has been my viewpoint with those that think digital photo files are perfect archival elements. We aren't going to maintain and monitor our photo files throughout our whole live, most of us won't. There'll come a time after kids move out, fewer and fewer photos are taken, and retirement happens. You may even put computers out of use for just a phone. What will happen to a box of hard drives when your kids find them in the attic after you pass away? This is 20 years after you put them in the box. Will the data be in tact? Will any computers of the day be able to interface with the drives? Will there be software that can open the files?

Where prints or slides in a box will still be prints and slides in 20 years that can be viewed within seconds of opening the box. Can't say the same about a box of hard drives and optical discs!

I'm not a pro like many of you guys. My RAW folder is only 200GB with 2 external HDD backup copies. The most precious data I have is stored on Amazon S3, about 70GB worth. That makes media migration, monitoring, and refresh Amazon's problem.

I don't worry that SATA will change to something else, that optical drives become unavailable, or my new computer only comes with an OMGBBQ 5.0 port. As long as I can access my Amazon service or something comparable, and my device reads JPG/RAW, I should be ok.

BruinBlue's gear list:BruinBlue's gear list
Canon EOS 5D Sony a6500 Sony E 16mm F2.8 Pancake Canon EF 24-105mm f/4L IS USM Sony E 18-200mm F3.5-6.3 OSS +4 more
Post (hide subjects) Posted by
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow