Are you willing to let film die off? How do you really feel?

Started Aug 14, 2012 | Discussions thread
trueview Regular Member • Posts: 180
Re: Are you willing to let film die off? How do you really feel?

If you look at my gallery, you will see a lot of file with no exit info, they are all film scans. I still have a fully functioning wet lab, and I have no intention to stop using film, especially B&W, although I also shoot digital. In my opinion, choosing between film or digital for a given subject has to do with the mood I want to obtain and/or the kind of print I want (silver based print or digital print)

As for the survival of film, B&W will almost certainly continue as it requires relatively small investment and it can be a valid business model for companies serving a niche market.

Color film is more uncertain. It requires much much bigger investment, thus it lends itself less to a niche market. A good chunk of the volume produced by color film producers was absorbed by the film industry. With that industry turning to digital technology, it will become more difficult to turn out a profit with color film.

Post (hide subjects) Posted by
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow