Are you willing to let film die off? How do you really feel?

Started Aug 14, 2012 | Discussions thread
Mako2011
Mako2011 Forum Pro • Posts: 23,527
Do you see

PHOTOJOE55 wrote:

They are still teaching Photography in the Colleges and in High School. They are using Film, and Processing it B&W right in the class. Their homework consists of shooting certain themes, and always in B&W Film.

Colour Film & slides comes in a later semester.

That is decidly not the case in many other populated areas.

I still shoot both, Full frame Digital, but in Medium format, I could have leased a Digital Camera & all that goes with it, but 1)Some people ask for film and 2)The others don't know the difference. But yet MAMIYA won't even service my 4 Bodies & finders, 8 backs & 12 Lenses. They want no part of film! A Hassy set up is close to 70k, Mamiya 645 is over 50k

That is the curse of being in a greatly reduced medium.

If you talk Large Format, we are years away. I know a guy who shoots Large in film, then scans it into Digital.

Why does he feel the need to convert to digital? That is more telling of the future I think and also says someting about where things may lead.

I originally asked this because I would like to get Digital Medium Format, but Mamiya has cut all ties, and merged with their former competition. All I could use is my manual focus lenses (that are of excellent quality).

Yes, it does take an extra bit of dedication and work to stay with the medium one loves at times.

I can understand if people don't want to shoot film, but where is all this hatred coming from. Most of those comments say, they can't wait for film to disappear.

You asked for their honest opinion and they passed it on as you requested. I think it's wrong to not accept their ideas as how they feel. They may honestly not enjoy film...why discount their opinion and in some case even call them names as was done here.

Where would we be without Film? Do you even know where film came from?

I remember someone picking up 35MM Film off the cutting room floor while shooting movies. What a waste, they said, there's got to be some use for this.

Film is simply not relevant to some folks photography. Most use a smart phone after all and have never touched film. Knowing the history of film and how it works might be nice but no longer necessary to photography unless it's still your medium. That is a simple truth. It can be useful to understand that side of the coin also.

I guess I DISAGREE with most of you. I'm going to keep shooting Digital and Film, at least until Medium Format prices come down to earth. It may never come to Large Format View Cameras, but the companies that make them are doing fine.

And that is a good way to look at it on your part. It meets your specific needs and desires. Can you do that without throwing verbal slings at the crowd on the other side of the street? How you approach that says a lot.

Let me ask you this: Someone hands you a Classic Rangefinder, a Leica, Canon or Nikon, or other film camera from the 50's. Tell me you have no urge to shoot with it, I know I would

I like looking at it and maybe opening it up to admire the workings....But having shot that way for so long...I would have no desire to load it and start that workflow again. Simply no real major benefit for me in my art. The cons simply out weight the pros. That is also a valid opinion. Hope you can see that. Many here have no flexibility in their approach and that may carry over into their work. The reality of it is that the pluses of film are fewer now than before. Digital only is rapidly progressing and may even surpass film in terms of RAW IQ soon. (it has already regards 35mm and smaller) To make the choice to work with film is a personal one and entails work and certain complexities/frustrations. Good Luck

Post (hide subjects) Posted by
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow