Canon Eos 7D or Sony A77

Started Aug 13, 2012 | Discussions thread
Y0GI Veteran Member • Posts: 5,233
re: pros & cons

Some very interesting comparisons here that really highlight the weaknesses of the Sony EVF.

Thanks for posting, Schmegg!

schmegg wrote:

jpr2 wrote:

• OVF vs. EVF : supposedly the best OLED VF industry has to offer from Sony has still lots and lots to cover before getting even close to (not an industry best) OVF of 7d, esp. in a really low light ;

That's a biggie in my book too.

Here's a few shots from a German forum showing the difference between an EVF (the a77) and an OVF (the older A580). Unfortunately, direct linking doesn't seem to work, so you'll need to open the URL in another tab or such ...

First, the scene that was photographed ...
www.bilder-space.de/bilder/fdc0a8-1319560607.jpg

Second is a shot of the A77's viewfinder through the eyepiece with a Fuji F30 ...
www.bilder-space.de/bilder/4f9e5a-1319561332.jpg

And another shot of the A77's viewfinder through the eyepiece ...
www.bilder-space.de/bilder/1adcef-1319561430.jpg

And finally, how the scene looks through the optical viewfinder of the A580 ...
www.bilder-space.de/bilder/9a37fe-1319562316.jpg

I think you'd have to be relying on brail to not find that difference significant. The a77 is all blown whites and crushed blacks compared to the OVF. It just looks so much worse - even though it's about as good as EVF's get at the moment. Couple that with the burst rate slideshow and it really is a bit compromised unfortunately - just a limitation of the SLT technology at the moment.

-- hide signature --

Yogi

When you get down to the nuts and bolts of photography, the results depend on the 'nut' behind the camera!

See the 'Gear List' in my 'Profile' for my current equipment.

Check out WilbaW's beginner FAQs at - http://snipurl.com/RebelFAQ

Y0GI's gear list:Y0GI's gear list
Canon EOS 7D Canon EF-S 10-22mm f/3.5-4.5 USM Canon EF-S 17-55mm f/2.8 IS USM Canon EF 100-400mm f/4.5-5.6L IS USM +2 more
Post (hide subjects) Posted by
T3
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow