What could I expect from an E-3 (over an E-520)?

Started Aug 13, 2012 | Discussions thread
Bobby J Veteran Member • Posts: 4,572
I've used both

cameras and the e-3 is superior in every area. Biggest problem I had with the 520 was softness. I just couldn't get images out of the camera that were crisp. I traded it for an E-30 and that was a good move.

If you can't find a good E-3, you might consider an E-30. It's noiser than the E-3, but

the ergonomics are excellent, and it's about 8 oz lighter than the E-3 which makes it better for travel. You should be able to buy a good used one for 450.00 plus or minus

50 bucks. Either camera will do an excellent job. Someone mentioned in another post about getting an E-1. I wouldn't consider that. They will make nice photos but lack seriously in other areas.

As for the lens, I agree with some others here that the 14x54 is an excellent choice. I own both the 12x60 and 14x54 and consider the 14x54 to be optically equal. It's lighter, faster and makes an outstanding travel companion. Both my lenses are out of warranty and if the SWD on the 12x60 conks out again, I'd simply toss it in the trash rather than have it repaired. I bought mine as a refurb and shortly after the 90 day warranty expired it quit working. Since I had already sent it to Oly (I could hear the SWD acting weird) and they returned it saying it was OK, when it did finally quit, they

did fix it free Otherwise about 300.00 for repair. The 14x54 just might be your best alternative.

Good luck with whatever you decide.--
BJM

Bobby J's gear list:Bobby J's gear list
Olympus M.Zuiko Digital 45mm F1.8 Olympus E-M1 Olympus Zuiko Digital 1.4x Teleconverter EC-14 Olympus M.Zuiko Digital ED 14-150mm 1:4-5.6 Olympus Body Cap Lens 15mm F8.0 +6 more
Post (hide subjects) Posted by
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow