Capture One Pro 6 for half price €114,50!

Started Aug 7, 2012 | Discussions thread
Theodoros Fotometria Senior Member • Posts: 2,090
Re: Shadow & Highlight Recovery C1 Pro 5 vs. LR 4.1

BobYIL wrote:

I do not have the LR4, however I have compared the C1 vs LR3.6 for the mentioned recoveries:

First the sample deliberately shot 2.5 stops down:

Here the sample developed in LR3.6 and C1. No attention has been paid to match the colors, WB, hues, contrast, etc., default sharpness on both, also no attention to the highlights; I wanted to check only how shadow recovery would function on either of them through a quick and simple test; I tried to match rather the gray tones on the road portion remaining in shadow, no attention to other shadowy sections. (P.S. on the same sample C1 and LR3.6 indicates different Kelvin!)

I think for the shadow recovery both developers are comparable:

-- hide signature --

BobYIL

-- hide signature --

My opinion is that C1 shows MUCH more shadow detail Bob... look at the deepest shadows inside the car, on the mirror and in the darkest parts of the leaves... there maybe 2 stops of more deep LL info (that's huge).... I also think that you won't loose anything in LL info if you apply more contrast on the C1 image, but again I will insist that trying to find a comparison point (like the grays you mention) is wrong. My opinion is that true comparisons can only be if you develop a scene for the best you can without you having in mind that you do it for the purpose of comparison... Then you can compare the prints... That is what a photographer does isn't it? Develop for the best he can achieve....

In addition to the above, LR is "cooler" than it should (has a TV sense of imaging) and your C1 image needs some "hue" correction (it's a bit towards the magenta side), but obviously the scene is warmer than LRs opinion... Please try my remarks and repost the image... I think it may help the conversation.

Theodoros
http://www.fotometria.gr

Post (hide subjects) Posted by
MOD TOF guy
MOD TOF guy
MOD TOF guy
MOD TOF guy
MOD TOF guy
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow