Are you willing to let film die off? How do you really feel?

Started Aug 14, 2012 | Discussions thread
Greenville Senior Member • Posts: 2,238
Last film I shoot was the 2002 Winter Olympics

I shot film for close to 30 years, and loved shooting film. I started experimenting with digital in early '97. Pretty much a novelty in the early days, but over time I stated to really enjoy digital. My last big use of film was the 2002 Winter Olympics. By the Fall of 2003 I has sold my expensive film gear - glad I did got great price for my gear. Although it was a a lot of work I pretty much have scanned 70+% of my negatives and slides. This has been great to be able to share many of these images to wider group of friends and family. After 30 years of film and now 15 years of digital personally no, I don't miss film in anyway.

In the last area I lived I got to know the owner of a chain of local photography stores. They started offering digital support around 2000. The owner had all of his staff trained to support digital photo and video technologies. At the time most stores would make jokes if you mentioned digital these guys would take it seriously. By 2005 these guys were expanding there stores - all of the others were out of business by 2006.

I personally don't care what happens to film, if the economies of scale are great enough film will survive. As long as enough people want to use film it will be around. I don't think Fuji will be ending their support anytime soon. I can't say about Kodak, their financial position is so bad who knows what will happen. They had to keep their patent auction open longer because the bids were so low. I don't know if they will have the cash and access to the credit they need.

Greenville's gear list:Greenville's gear list
Sony RX100 III Canon EOS 5D Mark II Canon EOS 7D Canon EF 85mm f/1.8 USM Canon EF 24-70mm f/2.8L USM +18 more
Post (hide subjects) Posted by
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow