Capture One Pro 6 for half price €114,50!

Started Aug 7, 2012 | Discussions thread
Theodoros Fotometria Senior Member • Posts: 2,090
Re: Shadow & Highlight Recovery C1 Pro 5 vs. LR 4.1

Robin Casady wrote:

Theodoros Fotometria wrote:

-- hide signature --

But it is (artistic judgement).... I mean we are trying to do photography ...no? IMO there is a confusion between "more recovery" and "better recovery", clearly I have never compared which recovers "more" because I am not interested to do so..., my satisfaction is for what serves my photography and my aim... OTOH I think that "opening the shadows more" is only an impression of yours, if you look at the EXTREME shadows you'll notice that C1 has retained more info, it is an impression that is caused by the fact that LR presents the area above the extremes as being brighter but "duller" at the same time. I am clearly with C1's "view" for the better image. Same applies for the HLs... LR will look darker in all but the EXTREME HLs... but C1 will have retained more info at the extremes... Look at my development of the DPR image above and concentrate on the "reflective surface" at the side of the bus and then at the front wheel of the bus (this will show how LR kills shadows), then look INSIDE the front wheel (in the deepest shadow of the space of the dome that surrounds the wheel) for the info kept there...

Earlier you were claiming that C1 had greater DR and was superior on high contrast images. I showed that to be false and now you are claiming it has better tonal qualities to its shadow recovery. I disagree.

The C1 example looks muddy and drab. It cannot do nearly as well with recovering the sky as LR4. The aesthetics of the sky are far superior in LR4. The tree trunk has richer tones.

Now lets look at the mid-tones. They are dead in the C1 example. It seems to have crushed them all together into one tone.

Look at the distant trees. They have nice separation in LR4. They are mushed together in in C1 to almost a silhouette.

I'd like to figure out how to get more aesthetically pleasing results when dealing with high dynamic range images, but I cannot find a way. I posted my settings. Tell me how to do it better. Don't give me theoretical bafflegab.
--
Robin Casady
http://www.robincasady.com/Photo/index.html

-- hide signature --

I have... it's nothing more I can do... sorry! Please reread the above post and try the same... I've also suggested what I thought of your image... Try it, if you don't like it... well it's a free world!
Theodoros
http://www.fotometria.gr

Post (hide subjects) Posted by
MOD TOF guy
MOD TOF guy
MOD TOF guy
MOD TOF guy
MOD TOF guy
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow