Capture One Pro 6 for half price €114,50!

Started Aug 7, 2012 | Discussions thread
Theodoros Fotometria Senior Member • Posts: 2,090
Re: Shadow & Highlight Recovery C1 Pro 5 vs. LR 4.1

Robin Casady wrote:

Theodoros Fotometria wrote:

-- hide signature --

But it doesn't need better.... IMO there is no more LLs that can be recovered... What I would do different is push the "lows" even more ...LOWER (I think you have them higher than you should), you may find that you will add the "weight" that it lacks while at the same time you should be able to keep ALL of the "deep" info... that is the result of microcontrast... the HLs, I would do as you already have...

Look on how LR killed the shadows completely... recovery of LL info doesn't mean "killing" the shadows as it does.... I also think that C1 has been design for TOP monitors with near perfect calibration, I use Eizo GM 242 for the job, mind you that a good paper will show more detail in print than the best monitor will ever do, it really needs a "sense" of the monitor vs. print relationship by the photographer. Try "Astral Improved pearl 290gr" semi-matte when printing color, it bares great DR characteristics and its quite reasonably priced.

P.S. Mind you that web presentation presents images with a different "gamma" curve, so my comments is on what I see rather than the "real" image.

Artistic judgement isn't the question here. Look at the highlights. Lightroom 4.1 recovered the clouds better than Capture One Pro 6. At the same time it was able to open up the shadows more. I could have easily moved the black point to increase the blacks. That isn't the point. The point is how do you accomplish the same level of recovery in C1?
--
Robin Casady
http://www.robincasady.com/Photo/index.html

-- hide signature --

But it is (artistic judgement).... I mean we are trying to do photography ...no? IMO there is a confusion between "more recovery" and "better recovery", clearly I have never compared which recovers "more" because I am not interested to do so..., my satisfaction is for what serves my photography and my aim... OTOH I think that "opening the shadows more" is only an impression of yours, if you look at the EXTREME shadows you'll notice that C1 has retained more info, it is an impression that is caused by the fact that LR presents the area above the extremes as being brighter but "duller" at the same time. I am clearly with C1's "view" for the better image. Same applies for the HLs... LR will look darker in all but the EXTREME HLs... but C1 will have retained more info at the extremes... Look at my development of the DPR image above and concentrate on the "reflective surface" at the side of the bus and then at the front wheel of the bus (this will show how LR kills shadows), then look INSIDE the front wheel (in the deepest shadow of the space of the dome that surrounds the wheel) for the info kept there...

Theodoros
http://www.fotometria.gr

Post (hide subjects) Posted by
MOD TOF guy
MOD TOF guy
MOD TOF guy
MOD TOF guy
MOD TOF guy
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow