V1 - worth buying?

Started May 11, 2012 | Discussions thread
vshin Regular Member • Posts: 255
Re: V1 - worth buying?

Jord wrote:

I'm a Nikon user already but for pro level SLR's but wanted a small compact camera I can carry around on holiday ect. I currently use an Olympus XZ-1 with the optional viewfinder which is a lovely compact but I think I'd prefer a built in viewfinder and better low light - above 800 iso the Oly really struggles.

So has anyone got the good the bad and the ugly on the V1 - my main needs are portability - I've got a D4 and a D700 if I wanted to lug them about.

The V1 is the best compact with a built-in EVF. As long as you can be at ease with letting the camera handle the settings, it will fill the gap between your cameraphone and DSLRs. The only significant downside is the lack of lens options, specifically a fast prime. Until new lenses come out, I wouldn't claim that the V1 is a low-light speed demon.

Most of the disgruntled comments come from users chasing the "unicorn" camera (FF DSLR specs in a P&S package). They will never achieve happiness.

Post (hide subjects) Posted by
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow