"Magical" colors: is 5D3 closer to 5D than 5D2 was?

Started Aug 8, 2012 | Discussions thread
Press Correspondent
OP Press Correspondent Veteran Member • Posts: 3,345
Re: OK, how about this one from the wedding?

Shaun_Nyc wrote:

I give you credit for going through the trouble but I think you could use some fast lens for available light shooting.

This shot was already at f/2.8 and ISO 1600 (maximum on 5D). I have tried, but there was no available light there to shoot with no flash and avoid a motion blur. Even the ceiling was completely black.

As far as speedlight left etc I dont see any shadows or seperation of the two so I said it looks on camera.

You can see the main shadow to the right of the chin and a fainter one to the bottom. The BigBounce eats three stops, but does not block the AF assist light, so I had to use it on top with the more efficient SoftBox III on the side (since it blocks the AF assist light).

Get a pair of pocket wizards and start playing w those.

I hope it was the only wedding I had to shoot but in any case my plan would be upgrading to the RT capable body and changing my 580EX to another 600EX-RT and/or a smaller RT strobe or two once it comes out.

IR is lame.

Yes, but indoors it worked well this time. What I missed though was a forth strobe to illuminate the background evenly from both sides.

Maybe look into a seconic if your serious about teaching yourself off camera. Maybe join a local strobist club. Good luck & be well

Thank you Sir, but I am not a pro and most of my flash photography is family events. However, a single strobe on camera does not give pleasing results, so I do need to learn the best lighting approach in these cases, not too intrusive yet with better than flat photos.

Press Correspondent's gear list:Press Correspondent's gear list
Olympus XZ-1 Canon EOS 5D Mark III Canon EF 50mm f/1.4 USM Canon EF 17-40mm f/4.0L USM Canon EF 70-200mm F4L USM +11 more
Post (hide subjects) Posted by
pso
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow