Which do you think is Zukio's best lens, and why?

Started Aug 11, 2012 | Discussions thread
citizenlouie Contributing Member • Posts: 796
Re: I'll second the 50-200mm vote!

Zuiko 50mm macro.... For macro and macro only would it be better than 50-200mm SWD in term of overall performance. SWD version is revised to have rounded aperture diaphragm, so the bokeh is like SUPER buttery.

50mm macro, being a macro lens, means its very specialized in the sharpness aspect. The six-blade non-rounded diaphragm just doesn't cut it in the bokeh department. But the short focus distance is very handy for macro. You may experience more out of focus area CA in doughnut ring style.... You will not win bokeh award with this lens, but it is the sharpest 50mm prime lens ever made (of any brand). So bottom line, macro lens (Olympus's own ring flash and dual macro flashes both requires 52mm filter thread this lens has, so yeah, it's your best lens for macro).

If you look at the 50-200mm SWD's MTF chart, you'll realize why it's only a HG lens. Light does fall off at the corner, but for most part in the field, it's negligible. However, that light fall off is really good for portrait. I don't know how they did it, but light spheres in the corner of bokeh area is really beautiful, even at corners. In fact, I tried 14-35mm SWD before (I know, different focal range...), while that SHG is better at sharpness department, and definitely better when it comes to vignette, but bokeh is not better than 50-200mm SWD's, which is pretty close to flawless.

citizenlouie's gear list:citizenlouie's gear list
Olympus E-620 Olympus E-5 Olympus OM-D E-M10 Olympus E-M5 II Olympus Zuiko Digital ED 50mm 1:2.0 Macro +10 more
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow