"Magical" colors: is 5D3 closer to 5D than 5D2 was?

Started Aug 8, 2012 | Discussions thread
gdanmitchell
gdanmitchell Veteran Member • Posts: 7,730
Re: "Magical" colors: is 5D3 closer to 5D than 5D2 was?

henrikbengtsson wrote:

What I mean is that if you load two images from different cameras/models in the same RAW converter and share the settings, they may appear different due to sensor/filter technology and metamerism.

metamerism (did you mean "metamerism failure?") probably isn't the issue here, but your point about sensor/filter (and internal software, along with other aspects of hardware) difference among cameras is both important and to be expected.

I've often said that the idea of constructing a supposedly "objective" test that begins by applying the same basic conversion settings to all samples is somewhere between bogus and meaningless. It would make some sense, I suppose, if we worked in a world in which we did not optimize images in post, both during the raw conversion stage and in our image manipulation programs - but that is essentially never the case. It is especially true when it comes to raw files, which must be adjusted in ways that optimize the image in ways appropriate to the specific camera. I have a 5D and a 5D2. I can produce beautiful image quality from both cameras - but not using the identical settings.

A much more useful comparison would look at what you get from samples that are converted to optimize the images in the ways that photographers typically work in post.

(To imagine that you can compare different systems by using the same processing is sort of like arguing that you should compare different films' performance by using the identical default processing chemicals, processes, and timing. That would, of course, be utter nonsense.)

Dan

Post (hide subjects) Posted by
pso
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow