TG-1 is a sales failure

Started Jul 30, 2012 | Discussions thread
geoffmalter
geoffmalter Senior Member • Posts: 2,798
Re: TG-1 is a sales failure

I read the reviews that you mention. Did you actually READ the reviews?

PC Magazine (5/31) review: gave the TG-1 4.5 stars (out of 5) and named it their Editors' Choice for rugged P&Ss. They did mention using Imatest's criteria, that sharpness could be better in corners and edges, which lowered the overall sharpness score, but dead center the sharpness measurement was above the criteria for a sharp image (1800 lines), at 2300 lines. Camera keeps noise below 1.5% through ISO 1600.

Joshua Goldman's review at CNet (6/14) gave it 4 stars (out of 5) and the only dislikes he mentioned in his video review was the spacing of controls, and the location of the stereo microphone.

The CNet WP rugged P&S shoot-out article on 6/15 said based on the crops of "dead center "the TG-1 is capable of taking very good to excellent photos for a rugged P&S".

Liam McCabe (digitalcamerainfo.com) on 6/25 said: 1) "great all-around performance in a tough camera", 2) "TG-1 is first tough camera that can actually serve as an all-around snap shooter", 3) IQ section (page 7) of the review says the TG-1 allows for steady, clear shots indoors and in dimmer lighting. He did note that he feels that colors are slightly flat which in his opinion could be problematic for UW photography, but that color error is rated at 3.14, and under 3.5 is good, and has a 93.78% saturation rate (out of 100%).

I see a common theme here............comparisons are vs. the tough/rugged P&S market offerings....NOT enthusist P&Ss like LX5, XZ-1, etc. It is what it is, and for what it is, and is worth $400 (well, actually $369) to me.

And IMO studying camera IQ comparisons at Imaging Resource speaks for itself.

geoffmalter's gear list:geoffmalter's gear list
Canon EOS M5 Olympus Tough TG-1 iHS Panasonic Lumix DMC-LX7 Canon EOS M Canon EF-M 18-55mm f/3.5-5.6 IS STM +4 more
Post (hide subjects) Posted by
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow