S100: Lens error after 7 months

Started Jul 15, 2012 | Discussions thread
Hans Bolte Senior Member • Posts: 1,403
Re: Repair info

What was the actual error message?

Bruce Hunter wrote:

Hello Gail,

I'm sorry to hear about your S100 lens error problem. I ordered my S100 in Nov. 2011 and received it on Dec. 3rd. Like yourself, I was extremly pleased with the camera. Then, on March 17th , after approx. 3000 photos taken, ...out of nowhere, it seemed.... I got the dreaded lens error .

The S100 is my 4th Canon compact (others ... SD700 , SD870, S90 ) and the first one to give me any trouble. ( over 25,000 photos with the S90, already ) .

After calling Canon customer service, I mailed my S100 to the repair center in Va. ( or maybe W.Va. ) .....and I will say that the customer service was excellent. I received confirmation when my camera was received and my camera was repaired and returned to me , as promised, within 7 working days.

I should add that my S100 was one with the "bad" serial numbers (3020 first 4 digits ) Also, the night I got the error, I was shooting outside and had taken about 25 shots, when after taking the last shot , I pressed the on/off button to shut the camera down , when the screen went dark and the error message came on the screen.

It was not raining when I was taking the photos but it was damp and it had been raining earlier in the evening..... ( humidity has been suggested as a possible lens error contributing factor )

I was a bit wary after receiving the repaired camera back , and I've taken about 2500 photos since, with no problem . But I do bring along my Canon S90 as backup, now. I really prefer the S100 for a variety of reasons and I sure hope Canon comes up with a permanent solution for this problem ..... The S100 is too good a camera to saddle with a quality control problem like this. I still marvel at the
image capabilities of this truly pocketable compact...

good luck with your repair , Gail and thank you for all of your helpful advice
regarding Canon cameras.

bruce

-- hide signature --
 Hans Bolte's gear list:Hans Bolte's gear list
Canon G9 X Canon EOS 5D Mark IV Canon EF 50mm f/1.4 USM Canon EF 100mm f/2.8 Macro USM Canon EF 24-105mm F4L IS II USM
Post (hide subjects) Posted by
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
Fsi
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
Fsi
Fsi
Fsi
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow