An Alaska Cruise in (many) Photos

Started Aug 5, 2012 | Discussions thread
Sinnettc
OP Sinnettc Veteran Member • Posts: 4,511
Here there be whales . . . (Juneau)

My last post had us heading out of Tracy Arm Fjord. As we moved out of the ice area and the light was getting a bit harsh, I took a break, found my wife, and got a late breakfast. Or early lunch. Maybe it was both - it's a buffet!

Apropos of the icebergs we'd seen, a couple of the crew were putting on an ice sculpture demonstration.

We saw more fishing boats

And the scenery remained amazing

All the way to Juneau

Where I went on a Photo Safari.

Our first stop was to get some pictures of the Fireweed blooming with the Mendenhall Glacier in the background.

Then on to Auke Bay where we caught a custom built RHIB to search out the wildlife.

We saw an eagle

but he was just an appetizer for the real reason we were there . . .

Humpback Whales!

The DA* 300/4 did great here, btw.

We would have stayed all day but there was more to see and do, so back to the marina . . .

Then off to Mendenhall Glacier. The salmon are just starting to return to spawn.

We hiked a trail through he woods

and took pictures of photogenic stuff

Until we could see the glacier.

The scale of things up there is amazing. That "little" waterfall on the right of the photo above is really quite spectacular when you realize the specks below it are people!

The icebergs are in a lake

Surrounded by wildflowers

And apparently hungry bears craving a smoke

Next stop, Skagway...
--
Chris
=-=-=-=-=-
http://www.pbase.com/sinnettc

Sinnettc's gear list:Sinnettc's gear list
Pentax K20D Pentax Q10 Pentax smc DA* 16-50mm F2.8 ED AL (IF) SDM Pentax smc DA* 50-135mm F2.8 ED (IF) SDM Pentax smc DA* 300mm F4.0 ED (IF) SDM +2 more
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow