"Magical" colors: is 5D3 closer to 5D than 5D2 was?

Started Aug 8, 2012 | Discussions thread
marcio_napoli Senior Member • Posts: 1,251
5d I magic

Sorry Dan, you're just playing the blind one.

Yes, it's very reasonable to say color accuracy or color "quality" has dropped on the later models.

It's not a phenomenon restricted to 5Ds mark whatever.

It's a closely observed phenomenon on many different cameras, from many different makers.

Past models had terrible High ISO noise, a fact no one denies.

I'll list some models that had extremely fragile noise performance, but were loudly acclaimed for their colors right OOC:

M8, D200, D2X, 5D I, 1Ds II, to name just a few.

A side note:

When Nikon finally got it right with its noise performance on the later models, Nikonians also noticed it was getting "harder" to get great colors.

A lot more tweaking in post was demanded.

Along with all others improvements in sensor design, sensors are now designed with weaker and weaker CFAs after every new generation, to allow more transmission of light to the photosites.

That's why they perform better on the noise charts, but many photographers noticed the so called "magic" is gone, on so many different camera models.

This actually happens even among DMF backs.

I shoot with a Leaf Aptus 22 back, and that sports a very old Dalsa CCD sensor.

A very old sensor, which has really low sensitivity (base ISO 25 and tops at ISO 400).

But many photographers claim this old generation of Digital backs also had a distinct "magic", that is already gone on the newer backs.

Judging by the quality of colors I get with this back, I can only presume this so called "magic" comes from extremely thick CFAs, from a time when noise charts and marketing claims did not command the sensor design process.

So yes, I can imagine why people refer to the original 5D as being "magic", and I can also imagine why that's gone (in part, at least).

Of course, YMMV.

-- hide signature --

Marcio Napoli

Post (hide subjects) Posted by
pso
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow