16-35 f/4 VR disappoints on D800

Started Aug 7, 2012 | Discussions thread
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Flat view
MichaelK81 Regular Member • Posts: 203
16-35 f/4 VR disappoints on D800

After upgrading to a D4 from my D300 (on which I used the 12-24mm f/4), I needed a wide angle zoom for landscapes and architecture. I really wanted the 14-24mm, but my cokin filter system wouldn't work with it, so I went with the 16-35mm f/4 VR. I totally understand why Nikon stuck VR into a slower lens, and it performed ok on my D4. However, my D800 is what I intend to use for landscapes and architecture, and during a recent outing with the kiddies, I took a few snaps with a tripod. Needless to say, I'm really bummed by the softness and CA, which becomes apparent just half-way from the center. See below:

ISO 200, f/8, 1/250sec, 16-35mm f/4 VR @ 16mm, VR off.

Here's a 100% crop in the center, all looks fine, plenty of detail and sharpness:

Half-way from the center, you're already seeing serious softness...

And the edges, useless. This might as well have been shot on a P&S.

I think I may end-up selling it on eBay, and take a financial hit in the process, but the 100% crops I've seen from the 14-24 don't even compare. To make things even easier, LEE filters makes a filter holder specifically designed around the 14-24mm. This would mean selling my cokin system, but what the heck, half these resin filters are scratched up anyway.

Just really bummed. I expected more from a made-in-japan pro level glass.

-- hide signature --

MICHAEL KORMOS PHOTOGRAPHY
http://www.michaelkormos.com

Nikon D300 Nikon D4 Nikon D800
If you believe there are incorrect tags, please send us this post using our feedback form.
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Flat view
Post (hide subjects) Posted by
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow